Heyyy, my article about vocations is up at Our Sunday Visitor! I b’lieve it will be out in print on the 13th, but you can read it online right here. Tell yer friends.

11 thoughts on “Article’s Up

1. elena

Just read your article Steve,and I want to thank you and ask God to richly bless you. I am a Catholic convert from the Southern Baptist Church. There is a “rite” in the their practices of faith where (generally after an altar call) a person comes forward at church and expresses repentance and the desire to live in relationship with Christ.This being done in a public,communal way confirms the person’s sincerity and binds them to the prayers of the body of believers. It is my belief,Steve, that you have done this through your article in OSV! You have taken a leap of faith by baring your heart in hopes of finding a welcoming ,accepting,listening ear. You have vowed to live publicly a chaste life,and by doing so have closed off other options. Here you now live in a moment in which you are no longer completely your own. Praise God ,to Him be the Glory,for the power of His Spirit is living in YOU!

2. Ron

Saint Therese of Lisieux wrote in Manuscript B of her “Story of a Soul”: “In the excess of my delirious joy I cried out: O Jesus, my love…my vocation, at last I have found it…my vocation is LOVE! Yes, I have found my place in the Church and it is you, O my God, who have given me this place; in the heart of the Church, my mother, I shall be love.”

This is something we can all aspire to, men and women, young and old, people with ssa and people with osa, ordained, religious, or lay, regardless of physical, emotional or mental handicaps, regardless of race or national origin.

God give us all the grace to respond to this call to be love.

Thank you, Steve…great article.

3. Lori

Great article! Once again, you manage to touch on something universal out of your personal & unique journey. Thank you!

4. Mark from PA

That was an interesting article, Steve. You mentioned the Franciscans and Opus Dei. The Franciscans are good but I would be wary of Opus Dei. This group has harmed some people. It seems to be too cult-like in my opinion. You could be placing yourself at risk by being in such a group.

5. Ron

There is another option for living our baptismal commitment (ie, our vocation), not very well known, and that is as a member of a secular institute. This is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraphs 928 and 929) says about secular institutes:

“A secular institute is an institute of consecrated life in which the Christian faithful living in the world strive for the perfection of charity and work for the sanctification of the world especially from within” (Code of Canon Law, 710).

By a “life perfectly and entirely consecrated to such sanctification”, members of these institutes share in the Church’s task of evangelization “in the world and from within the world”, where their presence acts as “leaven in the world” (Pope Pius XII). “Their witness of a Christian life” aims “to order temporal things according to God and inform the world with the power of the gospel.” They commit themselves to the evangelical counsels [poverty, chastity, and obedience] by sacred bonds and observe among themselves the communion and fellowship appropriate to their “particular secular way of life” (Code of Canon Law, 713).

6. Sonja

OMGoodness! LOVED IT! It really shows your poetic soul, the soul of a lion (a Davidic soul), and offers hope to those who find themselves in the same places. Talk about vocation…

My article runs today or tomorrow on Catholic Online. Thank you for the interview. I sure do wish we were neighbors :)

7. R

Hello Steve,

I wholeheartedly agree with the points you made in the article and I’m sure many also share the journey that you made (I am one of them ;)

Perhaps this is a part of your vocation, helping those of us suffering from SSA and people called to the single life in general to discover and learn more about our vocation, which is seldom talked in the Church (although St. Paul talked about it a bit).

Everyone talks about getting married, otherwise being a priest or religious (these are wonderful vocations of course), but what about those of us who do neither of these? Is there something wrong with us? Where do we fit in the Church?

Maybe there needs to be more of an awareness that there are people who are indeed living as single, celibate individuals and there are a place for them in the Church. Otherwise like you said it’s almost like our vocation is almost like being “stranded” in the desert of inaction.

There’s always that fear, of course, that being single and celibate means living a lonely and isolated existence and having melancholy as our “core” as you put it and even, to some extent, clinging to it in a way as our “cross”.

The question always come up in my mind: what is the way to go? How can I be sure that I am called to be single & celibate for life? Will I regret someday of not marrying? Can I “change” through programs like People Can Change and psychological help (e.g. through NARTH)?

Hope I’m not taking too much comment space here, but I want to close with a question. Would it be a good idea to let others know about my SSA? It seems that so far everyone whom I have told about it ended up becoming distant with me and so right now no one who is close with me knows about my condition. Talk about a great temptation about being stuck in melancholy.

Thankfully as you said SSA is an “accident” and not a “substance” of mine to put in philosophical terms. Praise be to God!