A couple of months ago I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Sonja Corbitt of Catholic Online. Her resultant article is available here. Thanks, Sonja!

19 Comments on “Interview”

1. Justin says:

LOL “virile baritone”! I can certainly see that. I guess she was thinking of the stereotypes of gay men, which your voice does not meet at all.

2. Mark from PA says:

I read the interview and it was good but then I read some of the comments and have come away depressed. The hatred in some of those comments just flew out and hit me in the face. It is enough to make a person cry, it is scary. To some of these people being gay is just a lifestyle. They want you to change your lifestyle. The ignorance is just appalling. Hate the sin and hate the sinner is more like it. It makes me realize that some people will never accept gay people as human beings equal in dignity to others.

3. James Merton says:

@Mark: All we can do is faithfully proclaim the Church’s teaching, and then let God do the rest. Mother Teresa’s beautiful quote comes to mind: “God doesn’t ask that we succeed in everything, but that we are faithful.”

4. Joe says:

I kind of agree with Mark here. Many of those comments are so off-putting. Some people are seriously incapable of getting past the inclination/action distinction as it applies to sin. It’s bad.

5. Theresa Zoe says:

I just got a little riled up over there in the combox. It angers me that people would rather cast stones than see persons. I don’t struggle with SSA but I have my own struggles to bear and when people are so adamant to judge people based on a struggle or sin, it hurts me too because those same people will be unwilling to see me as I truly am in my struggles and will instead only see my faults. It is utterly unmerciful, uncharitable, and un-Christian and stems from a lack of understanding and compassion. I truly hope and pray that people on all sides of this issue can grow in these two ways. As always, many prayers for you Steve and for all your readers.

1. Eh, don’t get riled up on my behalf. I noticed that most of the more asinine commentors didn’t appear to have read past the title, so what can one do. Haters gonna hate. Thank you for the prayers!

2. Theresa, I just realized how ungrateful that sounded. You made a very able and clear defense of something that needed defending, and I’m grateful indeed. I think I just meant: I hope you won’t lose sleep over it.

Maybe this will teach me to post when I should be sleeping. Probably not.

6. Off subject, Steve. I hope the time change will work for the radio interview upcoming. I sent you a note. :)

7. Theresa Zoe says:

Steve, no offense taken and no sleep lost! All is well!

8. Babs says:

I have to laugh a little only because I struggle with the Inner Judge. I bet if the interview were about me and my struggle not to be internally hateful toward evil people and actually follow the commandment to love my enemy, I wouldn’t get such horrible comments. We all have weaknesses that plague us our whole lives, why is one weakness more evil than another? GEEZ!

9. Ron says:

Same sex attraction is something you “have”, not something you “are”. I couldn’t agree with you more, Steve. There are so many more ways I define myself. Thank you for putting into words what so many of us feel.

10. Mary says:

Thank you for continuing to promote the idea that one can have SSA (and/or be gay) and be a good Catholic! It is so refreshing that in the article you admit that pretending to be attracted to women would be impossible/difficult/ridiculous for you. I get so frustrated at the “scared straight” school of thought – it is nice to see you acknowledging that it is not a choice to have SSA (and/or be gay), but it is a choice about whether to act on it.

11. Joe says:

Hey Steve,

Totally off topic, but I think the formatting on your main page is messed up? Not sure if it’s just me, but it wasn’t right on my computer or my relatively intelligent phone.

12. Christine says:

Yeah, my formatting is messed up, too.

Great interview, by the way! I teach theology (and Latin) at a Catholic high school and plan on sharing some of what you’ve written/said with students who question the Church’s teaching on homosexuality.

13. Ron says:

My formatting is messed up too. I’m just happy to have the Internet. During the thunderstorms we had here Monday evening, I kept losing my connection.

1. Heh, thanks, everyone. You’d be amazed what just one missing bracket will do…

14. Sonja says:

Can I admit I’ve cried over a few of the comments?

On the other hand, Justin? Made me laugh!! Thanks!

15. Mark from PA says:

I have to admit that I have sometimes lost sleep over comments that people that hate gay people have made on internet discussions. It is hard for me because I don’t come across much anti-gay prejudice and homophobia in my everyday life but when I read things that are just so nasty and mean-spirited, sometimes it really hurts. Some of these people can be harmful to one’s faith, sad to say.

16. Fr. B says:

Wow some of those commenters were annoying. I’m happy you didn’t take offense, but if you had it certainly would have been justified.