UA-49478533-1

So many posts I’d like to write. Today was better than I expected it to be. In Mass, the readings seemed designed to encourage and challenge me; in Adoration, Jesus reached down deep into my heart and scrubbed away something nasty; and then I got to see my sister, besides.

But I should really go to bed instead of posting. Big week ahead of me. I will leave you with this beautiful joke from a reader (to whom I have yet to respond via email — getting there!):

Job dies and meets the Lord. The Lord says, “Welcome to my Heavenly Kingdom. Is there anything you want to say to me before we enter?”

“Yes,” says Job. “I was your faithful servant, obeyed all your laws and commandments. I hate to complain, but why did all those bad things happen to me?”

The Lord ponders the question for a few seconds, looks at Job and says, “You know, Job, you really are a nice guy, but for some reason, you just piss me off!”

The end. To Jesus: C’mon, I know you can take a joke. To the Patriots: pull yourselves together, for Pete’s sake. To everyone else: Happy Sunday.

11 thoughts on “One Quick Take

1. MAMaK

I should always be going to bed instead of posting on my blog, or leaving comments here. I feel the exact same way about yesterday’s readings. I went La Missa en espanol, so I got the gist without the fluff, and it almost seemed batter that way. More raw and grabbing when you have to listen closely to understand.
    PAX

2. Christine

I once wrote what I thought the book of Job would have been like if all of the characters had only communicated via text messages. Job humor is the best!

3. Eugenia

Hi,
    I heard your interview on Catholic Answers’ podcast yesterday. Just wanted to tell you thank you for your insights, your honesty, your challenge to live Christ’s call to holiness in this world that mocks it. I don’t carry your heavy Cross, but I have some of my own. Don’t we all. :) I’ll pray for your perseverance and I ask for your prayers as well.
    God bless,
    Eugenia
    Oregon

4. Ben

Steve, you are on it about 87% of the time. But this post, well, I find it to be tasteless. There are many people looking to you as an example, and I don’t know; I feel a bit let down by your flippant joke, especially telling Jesus he can “take a joke.”

I am told I have a good sense of humor, but the punch line to your joke betrays God’s unchanging love for us.

I’ll still be a faithful follower of your blog, since I can relate to so much of what you write about. I can already hear people telling me to take a chill-pill and such, but in the grand scheme of things, I think there is too much flippancy and lack of respect in our culture when it comes to God.

1. Steve Gershom

Eh, you win some, you lose some, I guess. 87%, though, that’s better than the Patriots are doing this season!

I disagree about the inappropriateness of the joke, but sense of humor is one of those things about which intelligent people can differ. Glad you are sticking around.

5. Mark from PA

MAMak, that sounds great that you got to Spanish Mass. Our church has Spanish Mass on Tuesday and I really love it. I love the songs and the prayers too. I feel nourished by this Mass. I am glad that you had a good Sunday too, Steve. I teach a class of 8th Graders. I had a good class. I read some of the Acts of the Apostles to them and we went over some church history. A lot of the kids were missing but the group that was there was attentive. It is difficult because all the kids don’t come every week after they are confirmed so sometimes it is challenging. Usually we have good sermons but the priest told a joke about the devil and people in hell and I found it kind of creepy and not that funny. Sometimes I am in the mood for jokes but I sometimes I am in a serious mood.

6. Matt

I HOPE that our God would understand that any (good natured) joke we make of Him or of His is done with joy and piety. God created existence so I hope He has a funny bone.

7. jason taylor

Ben, we are also told to love God as well as revere Him and sometimes a God revered in the wrong way is rather unlovable.

8. Ben

Jason,

If you are saying that someone is revering God in the wrong way who sees God as unapproachable and mean and vengeful, then I couldn’t agree with you more. But what of a loving, merciful God? Does this mean we should be casual and flippant with Him? I am reminded of several instances in the Bible when at various times a person falls to his/her knees when an angel appears. The angel usually instructs the person to rise: only kneel before God! If our instinct when in the presence of angels is to kneel, then how much more awe and respect should we feel before our Heavenly Father? And his only begotten Son (glorified, remember!)?

Am I afraid of God? Only of offending Him by sin. We should approach God as St. Therese instructs: as little children. The God that I worship, the God of the Catholic faith, is infinitely lovable with a love only the Son, through the Holy Spirit, can return sufficiently. And I hope we all can participate in loving Him with all our hearts, as little as it might all add up to be.

I probably missed your point completely. That’s what happens when you don’t have a sense of humor, I guess. :)

-Ben