So I am stretching before class and listening to my classmates talk about Jedis and The Force and Padawans and the Dark Side and even about how Jedis have to be celibate (although I hear the Council has come under fire for this lately) and all of this stuff and thinking, If only they knew that all this stuff was real, and called, more or less, Catholicism.

I was thinking about writing a post about that, but it turns out Marc Barnes already has it covered. Excerpt:

In her sacraments (Power-ups), her catechesis (+HP), her sacramentals (Items), her abundance of spiritualities (fighting styles), her challenges (Bosses), in confession (restart at last saved point), and in her call to of us to win this race (game). I hold with all my heart that if ever a man wants to understand why the Catholic delights in the ritual and rule of his Church, he must first understand why children play Pokemon.

Which reminds me of J. B. Toner’s similarly themed Life Is an RPG:

Consider the fact that you voluntarily play RPGs for fun, in order to be entertained. Well: we know that our daily lives are holy, that God walks among the pots and pans; but I call your attention, sir or madam, to the fact that our daily lives are also tremendously entertaining if we simply perceive that we ourselves are heroes….Each day we have optional side quests. Give five bucks or your sandwich to the homeless guy. Ching: you’ve gained XP (or grace points, as I like to call them). Read some G.K. Chesterton. Ching: +2 bonus to your Wisdom rating.

Ching! Okay, carry on being heroes now.

11 thoughts on “Heroes

1. Victor

Read Steve Gershom’s new post – Ching: +1 bonus to my Wisdom rating!

[I couldn’t put you on the same level as Chesterton – but if he had 10 points, you would get at least 7]

2. Larissa

As Aunt May would say, “there’s a hero in all of us. That keeps us honest, gives us strenght, makes us noble, and, finally, allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most – even our dreams.”

Great comparison! :)

3. Tara S

I used to think things like special indulgences were weird nonsense, until I realized they are like a “1-up” that make you a better Mario, better able to squish the Evil Mushrooms and save the princesses. Those are good things. I want lots of those!

And also, yes. Catholicism is the closest thing anybody will ever find to being an actual Jedi.

4. Annette

That was one of my favorite Marc Barnes posts. I think it’s because I am still incredibly immature.

I love your correlation between Jedis and Catholicism. These are not the sins you’re looking for. You’re free to go. Move along.

5. Vivien

Wow. I never thought of Catholicism and Star Wars like that before. Maybe now I’ll have to go back and actually watch the movies in their entirety. I’ve never really given them a chance in the past. Thanks for sharing these excerpts with us!

6. Peter M

I always struggled to reconcile the Faith with my love for Star Wars, seeing as the whole “Force” thing is heretical pantheistic dualism. I remember one day my Dad, possibly a bit worried about my fixation on Star Wars, asked me what they worship at the Jedi Temple; and of course, the answer is “nothing”. But whenever I pretended to be a jedi, I always imagined that the ability to manipulate the “Force” was really a vocation, a gift from God to certain individuals, which, like any other gift, could be used for good or for evil; and I also pretended that at the center of the Jedi Temple was a Eucharistic adoration chapel.

If you think about it, though, there are so many of those with SSA who have been seduced by the dark side of the force, into hedonism, atheism, victim mentality, intolerance, etc. The gay lifestyle consumes them; even as they mistakenly think they are becoming more powerful, they are becoming more and more enslaved.

They’re still God’s children, though, and they need someone to do battle with them and for them; to urge them to return to the light, and to be a witness so that others may not fall. I feel like that might be what you do with this blog, Steve.

7. Southern Expat

You linked to us! That never happens! Thanks, Steve!

I don’t know how I’d missed the Star Wars Vatican II post before now, but it really has something for everyone, doesn’t it? Impressive.

8. Jen

You sir, are a Jedi Knight…and I think you just evolved into a Charizard. :p
    @E. I love that Vatican II Star Wars post even though Bl. John XXIII had about a MILLION times more personality than Qui-Gon Jinn. I would vote for him in the funniest Catholic to ever have lived award…if such an award existed.