A quick excerpt, heavily paraphrased, from my phone conversation with Fr. T. the other night.

You think this is coming from yourself, but it’s not. What would you do if you were at work and someone came up to you and said, “You’re no good at your job. You’re a disaster as a web developer. Your code is crap. They ought to fire you right now.” Would you burst into tears and run home?

No, you’d fight back, because you know that’s all bullshit. So how come you believe it when the enemy tells you all kinds of lies about yourself?

So when the lies come, fight back. Take a break, go off by yourself, and reject the lies, out loud. Bind them to the foot of the Cross, where they can do no harm, out loud. And embrace the opposite truth, out loud. Don’t let them get a foothold.

See, everybody needs a Father T…but for you who don’t have one, the best I can do is pass this stuff along.

So happy Lent. Remember: we are at war.

14 thoughts on “Lies

1. George

God bless Fr. T. I’ve received similar advice – whenever negative thoughts about the past or words of the enemy rob me of my peace I try to “throw them in the trash” so to speak. It is sometimes best not to listen to them. Big struggle sometimes, but as you say so necessary. The devil really is a SOB.

2. George

I reread what I posted. Sometimes! Sheesh… Never good to listen to the enemy. I have the bad habit of using weasel words …

1. PJA

Awesome adage! A powerful phrase and a real reminder about the state of things! Awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

3. Aaron

I love the part where he says to “bind them to the foot of the cross.” I try daily to spend time at the foot of the cross and leave my fears, anxieties, temptations and sin at the foot of the cross. What a great way to receive His Divine Mercy. Thanks for the post.

4. Gabriel

I’ve always had a difficult time with this sort of thing. It makes me feel goofy to do that — which is probably asinine, since my charismatic friends are all about this sort of thing and I (hope I) don’t look down on them for it. I don’t know. Maybe it’s a pride thing — like I’m too dignified to pray that way? I’m certainly always very shy of invoking power of any kind … Hmm, that makes me smell a rat. I need to think about this more. Thank you.

5. Tara S

Gabriel – I know what you mean; it took me falling into a deep, dark hole before I felt like praying this way wasn’t superstitious. But then needing a full hour of “St Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle” aloud in my room cured me of that!

All I can say is, it may feel goofy wandering around with a big sword strapped to your back, but in the land of Orcs and Trolls, it sure comes in handy!

6. Greg

1Peter 5: 8-10 works for me “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.”

7. Michelle

Hey! I just found your blog via Conversion Diary, and I just wanted to say: THANK YOU for putting this blog out here :) I don’t personally struggle with SSA, but I know people who do, and they just sit back and let it define them. You are proof that people are not the sum total of our sexual persuasions. So thanks for all you’re doing for the Kingdom – keep up the good work!

May your Lent be fruitful, your Easter joyful, and your life eternal.