Thought for the day…

…from a video we watched in my support group last night:

There’s nothing you can do that will make God love you any less than He already does. But also — fellow perfectionists and Pelagians take note — there’s nothing you can do that will make God love you any more than He already does.

Not even if you give all your clothes to the poor and say a thrillion rosaries. So you will have to think of a different reason for doing those things. Or possibly just let yourself relax a little bit.

11 Comments on “Thought for the day…”

1. Chris says:

I often struggle with scrupulosity, so I keep having to remind myself that “hate the sin, not the sinner” refers to myself as well. Case in point: I hear Paul say he won’t even dare to judge himself, and I condemn myself for not doing likewise. No, wait… stop that!

2. Blake says:

Steve – I recorded this video. This post reminds me of it:

3. Ron says:

A lot of us who struggle with SSA also struggle with the false belief that we are in some way not loved, or unlovable, by God. This was my issue early on when my SSA was becoming quite apparent when I was a teenager. It took me years of prayer, counsel, and support to realize that yes indeed, God loves me, and not in spite of my SSA, or because of it…God loves me as a man with SSA, pure and simple.

4. Greg says:

One of my favourite topics for homilies “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.”
    Saint Augustine

5. Ron says:

I like that, Greg! Thanks.

6. Patrick says:

You do the thrillion rosaries and give your clothes to the poor because you love *them* with Christ’s love pouring through you. St. Teresa of Avila put it nicely in her poem:

“Christ has no body but yours,
    No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
    Yours are the eyes with which he looks
    Compassion on this world,
    Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
    Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
    Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
    Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
    Christ has no body now but yours,
    No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
    Yours are the eyes with which he looks
    compassion on this world.
    Christ has no body now on earth but yours”

7. Aaron says:

To my Catholic brothers and sisters, let us listen, understand, and be challenged by the words of a great evangelical: “Christian faith is not only a matter of believing that certain things are true, but above all a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It is an encounter with the Son of God that gives new energy to the whole of our existence.” Pope Benedict. XVI

8. Lauren says:

Right. There’s nothing we can do to make God love us more, but there are an infinite number of things we can do to make US love GOD more.

Also, there’s nothing we can do to make God love us more, but are are a whole lot of things we can do to make us more open to the love He has for us.

THAT’S why we pray the thrillion rosaries.

9. Cat says:

Sorry, this isn’t on your topic, but a fallen away Catholic friend of mine posted this video on fb and I was wondering if you felt able to tackle it. I feel like everything I say is just going to get shot down because I couldn’t possibly understand the struggle or pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_776014&src_vid=_toWufiWU6o&v=ezQjNJUSraY&feature=iv

10. Charity M. says:

“Fellow perfectionists and Pelagians” – yep, that’s me! Thanks for the reminder, Steve. You’re awesome.

11. Jordan says:

It’s worth checking this blog out every now and then just for the little gems like “thrillion”. :)