I’ve been reading Gabriel Blanchard’s stuff over at Mudblood Catholic, a site of which I’m newly and extremely fond. I don’t agree (I don’t think) with Gabriel on all points, but I love his clarity of thought, his humor, and his honesty.
Given the whole Exodus thing, orientation change has been the obsession du jour in the Gershom headspace. It’s a subject I don’t relish but can’t not think about, although thanks to some mixture of maturity and meds, it’s something I can stop thinking about when I feel done with it.
My position on the whole thing is something like this:
- Gay people (and everybody else) can and should seek competent help in looking closely at the things that are causing them pain.
- They should do this not in response to some kind of moral imperative, but just because suffering, although it can be offered up, is itself an evil.
- Yes, suffering is an evil and should be avoided if reasonably possible. I can’t believe this is controversial. Even Jesus didn’t want to be crucified.
- I do think it’s possible that, as a kind of side effect of emotional healing, some people with SSA sometimes see a diminution of same-sex attraction and an increase of opposite-sex attraction.
- But! Making this kind of shift the whole point of therapy, or of addressing one’s issues in general, is stupid and dangerous and, on the part of those offering the therapy, incredibly irresponsible.
Whether we’re able to relate to other human beings in healthy ways matters a zillion times more than whether we fancy a roll in the hay with them. If you’re focusing too much on the second thing, you’re not going to get the first.
In other words, Seek ye first His healing and His sanity, and heterosexuality will be added unto you as well — or actually, it almost definitely won’t, but by the time you’ve achieved some measure of sanity, you’ll begin to discover that heterosexuality matters very much less than you had supposed.
So yes, as you were, I’m going to take a few breaths and keep drinking my coffee. Why the !@#$ did I quit smoking again?