Dark

Dark

I have this idea that the world is an enormous dark whirlwind, a huge engine of death. It tears up and grinds everything in its path, trying to reduce everything to soot and dust and burnt gristle.

And then the good we do is sparks of light, but those sparks get sucked right up into the arms of the whirlwind, and then they go deep down inside, and you don’t know what has happened to them.

But I think that the nature of the darkness is to be temporary, and the nature of the sparks of light is to be permanent. Or maybe it’s that the nature of the darkness is to be unreal, and the nature of the light is to be real.

Whatever it is, I don’t think those sparks of light ever disappear. I think when the dark whirlwind sucks them down, it thinks it’s going to drown them, but it doesn’t, because they’re too real to die. They don’t get drowned at all. The darkness can’t smother them. They just go deep under cover.

So they just build and build and build until one day they explode the darkness from the inside out.

That’s why I try to do good even when the goodness just vanishes into the whirlwind, just sinks under the black surface and disappears. Because it can’t disappear forever.

14 Comments on “Dark”

1. Anna says:

…even though it always has?

1. Like Flannery O’Connor says: “I believe love is efficacious in the looooooong run.”

2. Jenn says:

This is beautiful imagery. Thank you for sharing it! This makes me think we should all take Katy Perry’s Firework more seriously, kidding, not kidding, maybe 😛 Let’s all send out those sparks of light! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

3. John says:

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not

4. hogtowner says:

Joey:
    You seem to be coming up with all kinds of wise reflections. They are a pleasure to read. Thank you!

Here’s an example of what you described in living flesh: http://www.churchpop.com/2015/11/30/john-leary-article/

5. ashtray says:

How do you feel about eve Tushnet’s “commited, chaste friendships” isn’t that bassically dating?

1. I don’t really know about those. I don’t know that Eve particularly promotes them, either, although she may. It seems to me that the basic difference between them and dating is that dating has marriage in mind as a possible end, and such friendships would not.

1. ashtray says:

I know she talks about vowed chaste relationships and to engage in passionate relationships instead of breaking celibacy, when you say ya don’t know, does that mean you don’t agree or you don’t know much about them?

1. Yes, I am aware that Eve talks about such arrangements (although I’m not sure whether your use of the word “passionate” is accurate).

I don’t know whether she recommends these sorts of arrangements as a general principle — recommending them would be different from simply talking about them as a possibility.

As for me, I don’t know whether I think such arrangements are a good idea in general, or not. I suspect that they would be a good idea in some circumstances and a bad idea in others.

6. Anna says:

Just wanted to say I’m so glad you’re back to writing the blog again. I’m always happier after I read your posts – they always seem to be just right, somehow.

7. ashtray says:

Okay, so not a one size fits all approach, but still an orthodox possibility, right?

1. Yes, I don’t think there’s anything inherently unorthodox about such arrangements, though I think it’s certainly something that would call for great prudence.

8. Audrey Yu says:

Very beautiful observation. Keep strong in the Lord :-)