In Which I Am Reminded What Nice Friends I Have

Text message conversation this morning between my friend Rivka and me. She is studying to be a body psychotherapist.

SG: This is not fair. No objective reason to feel sad, but it feels like my body is flooded with sadness particles. Stupid body.

RJ: Here is what I would suggest from my clinical perspective — long term: take a multivitamin and tons of fish oil every day — b vitamins and fish oil have been proven to fight off sadness particles. Short term: put on loud music and stomp your feet, or get in the car and make really loud low pitched sounds…hope that is somewhat helpful — I love u and am praying for u

Who could stay sad with friends like that? Sort of reminds me of St. Teresa of Avila, who apparently prescribed steak and/or a nice hot bath to ward off melancholy.

8 Comments on “In Which I Am Reminded What Nice Friends I Have”

1. Justin says:

I haven’t had a bath in years (wait, that didn’t come out right …) but I certainly can’t argue on the steak part. (Anyone else with SSA nervous they are ceding some of their highly-prized and already-fragile masculinity if they take a bath? Or am I all wet?)

2. Ron says:

Yes, Justin…It’s showers all the way! If you take a bath you may have to use (gasp) BUBBLES!

3. Dante says:

Interesting. I have taken good male-oriented vitamins and fish oil for years and i have noticed a difference. As for the bath: epsom salt bath.That’s the way to go. Several HUGE handfuls in a baththats hot but not too hot and will allow you to stay in it for a good 20 minutes. Just did that myself (for my back). Ahhhh….no harm done tomy masculinity either (no where did iput that mosturizer??????) hahaha.

4. Ruth says:

Sounds to me like St. Teresa of Avila is on to something–steak, and beef in general is high in B vitamins! Epsom Salt baths help your body to get rid of toxins, although if you don’t have any at home, putting baking soda (about a 1/4 to a half a cup) in your water will do the same thing (reduce toxins, that is).

When I get into the doldrums, some of my favorite things to do is spend at least a 1/2 hour in Adoration, or go exercise (endorphins help!), or spend some time shooting things in video games (especially plants vs. zombies or desktop tower defense).

Having been clinically depressed and suicidal in the past, I personally know that nutrition and exercise has a HUGE impact on my moods, so I will often ask myself things like: Have I been eating healthy? Have I eaten recently? When was the last time I exercised? Have I eaten anything that I’m allergic to? etc.

I will add you to my prayer list, as feeling BLAH for no reason is tough.

Blessings, Ruth

5. Peter says:

I read something recently by a priest about what he does when he gets run down. He mentioned all the usual things: prayer, sleep, food, exercise…but then he said that on top of that, he had learned to ask God to send him someone that he could help. He said it’s the last thing you feel like asking for or doing, but it never fails to take you out of yourself and put everything in perspective. The few times I’ve tried it, it works; I say few times, because I’m not much for caring about anyone other than myself in my down periods.

6. SD says:

Man, this would have been helpful a year ago. I was clinically depressed (And developing an eating disorder) and what was worse was not being able to talk about it! That’s actually one of the main ways I think it helps to shrug those feelings is being able to talk about things with friends, especially male friends… because if you just talk with girl friends it makes me more self-conscious and feel worse about myself because then you feel like you lack real guy-friends.

7. Bryan says:

I think the bath thing is all about balance. I think if I do something really really unpleasant and (this is important) sweat, or even better, bleed while doing it while offering it up for the Poor Souls, then I can take a tub bath without having to turn my Man Card back in. No scented bath oil, though. Just one drop of ylang-yang and you might as well get all your Bette Midler CDs back out.

8. Laura says:

Chocolate, exercise, play with puppies 🙂