Dark Backward

I dug out my old journals, from about January ’02 to present. I am trying to figure out once and for all what happened when, so I can make sense of a couple of things. Here they are:

journals

Um holy crap you guys, I think a lot.

11 Comments on “Dark Backward”

1. Matt Jones says:

I LOVE going through my old journals. It’s a lot like watching those YouTube compilations of people seriously hurting themselves by doing stupid things: I can’t stop smiling even as I feel every ounce of pain, because dang they ate it so hard.

If I drank, I’d take a shot every time I scrawled, “a yawning abyss.”

Enjoy the journey!

2. Anna Macdonald says:

Are you going to tell us why it matters what happened when in a future post, or are you going to leave us hanging?

In a question that may or may not be related, I’ve been vaguely wondering at what age you “knew” you were gay. (If you don’t want to answer, that’s fine.)

1. (1) Yes, I’ll tell in a future post.
      (2) 14.

3. Sarah says:

I get absolutely ZERO enjoyment out of looking through old journals. Ughhh. Excruciating.

1. Julia says:

Cringe de la cringe. Mine were sporadic and probably all in a landfill by now. A blessing.

4. Rose says:

I find that when looking through old journals, it’s nice to have a pick-me-up after re-reading (/reliving) the bad stuff.

5. richard says:

I suppose that going through old journals could serve as a corrective to one’s current style of writing. One perceives instances where a better word or phrase could/should have been used.

6. amy b says:

I love looking through my old journals and reading my personal history. It helps with my growth.

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

Soren Kierkegaard

7. Theresa says:

I’m sitting here laughing because as soon as I saw your stack, my very superficial thought was, “I wonder how many journals I’ve had since 2002? (Gracious, 2002 was a long time ago!)” Someone once told me it’s good to look back and perhaps perceive God’s fingers weaving together the threads of your life. Which sounds wonderful, but usually, when I go back and look, not much has changed between my now and my then. Good luck!

8. mirisyl says:

Hmm, I don’t very much like to read my old journals because they remind me of the things I should have done by now but have not. Sometimes though, they reinvogorate ambitions I had way back when…. but you do think a lot, or maybe write too much, lol

9. Sue Herbert says:

Dear Joseph,
    i came across your bio on Strange Notions and wondered what you had to share. After reading your commentary posted there, i went to your website. The expressions of your heart are deeply moving! This is a most beautiful website! This is the very first time i have ever listened to a person who has same sex attractions, share their faith journey as a Catholic living without rancor. Hearing your understanding for the protective love of our Mother Church for all her children, was such an encouragement to my own faith walk.

i am looking forward to continuing to hear how the Lord is touching your life! Peace, grace and prayers, “Grammy Sue”